Apply for Employment
Camp Counselor: Call of the Wild Camps
Do you love working with children? Are you a word lover with a passion for children's books and teaching reading and writing? Do you love the outdoors and fun adventures? How about combining your passions into one fun job? At Inspire Behavioral Learning, LLC, we are looking for a camp counselor to work in seasonal nature camps for kids in grades K-6 to hike, read, and write around the East Bay! We seek an enthusiastic, energetic, dynamic and creative leader to join us in creating and implementing educational programs outdoors for winter break 2021-2022, spring break 2022, and summer break 2022. These weekly nature camps combine hiking, reading, writing, nature exploration, and play.
Our ideal candidate is a communicative and collaborative team player bursting with creative ideas to share in staff team meetings and to implement with children in weekly camps. Our ideal candidate is adaptable, friendly, outgoing, energetic, and eager to inspire and engage children in learning by doing. Strong candidates have experience in early childhood education, elementary school education, special education, outdoor education, literacy education, recreation, and related fields.
COVID-19: mask wearing, physical distancing, sanitizing, and other health and safety requirements are in place for employees and students. We provide paid COVID-19 training for you. We are looking out for you and your health and safety!
WHO WE ARE: Inspire Behavioral Learning, LLC believes that to inspire learning is to inspire action! We do this by moving individuals to learn in ways that are personally meaningful, motivating, and relevant to their entire lives. We provide outstanding educational and behavioral health services for children, teens, and adults throughout the San Francisco Bay Area.
WHAT MAKES US UNIQUE:
- We value diversity and include children with disabilities and typically developing children alike in our programs.
- We value the integrity of the whole person and are dedicated to a well-rounded blend of head, heart, and body -- being constant learners, kind and caring, and focused on learning by doing.
- We incorporate a multisensory approach and principles of applied behavior analysis (ABA), the science of learning that focuses on observable interaction between the learner and environment.
- We are a small company focused on quality over quantity. Each employee is valued as a whole person and a unique individual, which is the same respect we give to each student. We use 360 degree feedback, in which everyone's observations matter.
- Complete training in safely leading hikes in East Bay parks, such as Tilden Park, Redwood Regional Park, Joaquin Miller Park, and Lake Chabot
- Lead hikes in parks of the East Bay for rising K-6th graders in small groups of up to six children
- Lead outdoor language arts activities for children with nature and wilderness themes, including circle time with storytime and singing, literary show-and-tell, skits, nature journaling, mapmaking, creative writing, personal journaling, and authoring and illustrating books
- Apply English Language Arts Common Core State Standards to science (such as topics in biology, ecology, zoology, environmental stewardship, preservation, etc.) and social studies, integrating naturalistic observation, group discussion, and relevant children's books and writing activities
- Supervise and facilitate children's rest breaks, snack and lunch breaks, and physical play breaks
- Provide naturalistic executive function teaching across diverse activities, such as planning and time management for hikes and the writing process
- Implement teaching and behavior management based on principles of applied behavior analysis (ABA), including prompting, positive reinforcement, and group contingencies of reinforcement based on student preferences and choices
- Facilitate emergent curriculum and child-centered, student-centered, naturalistic, incidental, and play-based teaching and learning opportunities
- Create both structured and naturalistic learning opportunities
- Communicate student progress and needs with children’s parents/guardians where applicable
- Record accurate, objective incident reports and camp notes
- Follow all COVID-19 health and safety requirements
- Actively contribute and participate in staff meetings
- Perform other duties as assigned
This job requires camp counselor experience. Applicants without previous camp counselor experience will not be considered.
- Previous camp counselor experience for literacy camps, outdoor recreational camps, and/or nature camps.
- Demonstrable experience taking initiative leading groups of children
- Fun and engaging teaching style with high energy, creativity, adaptability, spontaneity, dynamism, and positivity
- Possess the ability to hike East Bay trails of easy to moderate difficulty on hilly and uneven terrain up to approximately 6 miles
- Possess the ability to take initiative with minimal direction
- Provide proof of your high school diploma or highest degree
- Provide your academic transcripts (unofficial transcripts are permitted); must be in good standing
- Demonstrate command of American English phonology, morphology, syntax, semantics, and pragmatics
- Minimum of one year experience working with elementary school age K-5th or K-6th graders (applications are automatically rejected without this requirement)
- Experience working with culturally, linguistically, and developmentally diverse children
- Experience leading extracurricular enrichment activities for children
- Experience with behavior management for children
- Experience with child development and age-appropriate, grade-appropriate, developmentally appropriate activities
- Must demonstrate care for children and a desire to help the whole child learn and grow in enjoyable ways, in addition to language arts subject-matter competence
- Pass a DOJ and FBI background check
- Provide proof of COVID-19 vaccination
- Provide proof of unexpired CPR and First Aid certification
- Provide proof of a valid California driver license
- Reliable transportation to regional and city parks in the East Bay in Berkeley, Oakland, and Castro Valley (applications are automatically rejected without this requirement)
- Experience hiking East Bay trails of easy to moderate difficulty up to 6 miles
- Demonstrable love of the outdoors, eco-conscious, and health-conscious
- Demonstrable love of language arts, linguistics, and literacy teaching
- Enthusiastic about making education relevant to children's lives
- Kind, caring, compassionate, and patient with learners of all skill levels
- Experience teaching students with widely diverse abilities, including giftedness, disabilities (e.g., autism, ADHD, dyslexia, speech and language delays), and English Language Learners (ELL)
- Eagerness and openness to continually learn and develop your skillset, no matter how extensive or minimal your experience
- Excellent ability to break concepts down into simple and easy steps
- Excellent time-management and organizational skills
- Outstanding oral and written communication skills
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
PERKS AND BENEFITS:
- Have fun teaching kids in the outdoors!
- When seasonal camps end, you may have the opportunity for other positions in the company if it's a good fit!
- Paid training and paid sick leave
- Supportive and friendly environment with coaching and mentorship
- Become part of a company that truly cares about both the employee’s and student’s happiness and success!
LOCATION: East Bay parks for Oakland camp counselor, Berkeley camp counselor, and Castro Valley camp counselor (you can specify which location you prefer, but flexibilty for working in all available East Bay locations is preferred)
CLASSIFICATION: Non-exempt employee; temporary; part-time or full-time
COMPENSATION: $19.00/hr-$24.00/hr DOE
JOB TITLE: Camp Counselor may be variously known as or similar to camp leader, camp teacher, camp instructor, youth leader, youth group leader, program leader, lead counselor, lead camp counselor, and elementary program leader.
APPLY: Send your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. In your cover letter, specify why you might be a great fit for the Camp Counselor and Inspire Behavioral Learning! We look forward to connecting with you!
M-F 8:00 AM-7:30 PM
Sat 9:00 AM-6:30 PM
Contra Costa County
Santa Clara County